Christmas Clay Pot Crafts
This project makes a great addition to a Christmas village or makes a creative centerpiece. Here are some simple instructions on making a Christmas tree out of terra cotta pots:
1. Collect all your materials; here is what you will need:
- Terra cotta pots (the sizes will depend on how big you want it to be)
- Green paint
- Angel or topper
- Decorations for your tree (paint, glitter, puff paint, buttons, ribbon, mini lights, etc.)
- Hot glue gun
2. Sand off any rough spots on your pots.
3. Clean your pots if necessary. It is important to have a clean surface when you start, so the paint will adhere better. You can wash your terra cotta pots with bleach water (10 % bleach), soapy water or you can stick them in the dish washer. After your pots are well rinsed, let them sit out over night to make sure they fully dry. Terra cotta pots are porous and it is important to make sure that there is no moisture in your pots. If there is any moisture in your pots the paint will eventually bubble up.
4. Next seal all your terra cotta pots inside and out. This will help protect any moisture from getting in and it will also help your pot not need as much as paint. There is a sealer that is made especially for terra cotta pots that you should be able to find at most larger craft stores with there terra cotta pots. I purchased mine at Micheals. You can also use most water based polyurethanes or sealers, just read their label to make sure they are okay to use with paint. Some sealers will smudge your paint job. Don’t use oil based polyurethanes, they will leave a yellow tint to your project.
5. Paint all your pots.
6. Hot glue all your pots together.
7. Seal your tree.
8. Decorate your tree.