Decor with a touch of class
Water slide decals can be used on any non porous surface, which leaves the possibilities endless. Use your imagination and have fun with it. Personalize wine glass, candles, or party favors for an upcoming Wedding or party.
Purchasing Water Slide Decal Paper3>
There are two things that you need to know when buying decal paper. First, what kind of printer do you have? They make paper for ink jet printers and paper for laser printers. Second, there is clear and white decal paper. Depending on what you are creating, you might prefer one over the other. Keep in mind that most printers do not print white, so if you are in need of white in your design you will need white paper.
Water Slide Decal paper is difficult to find. I can’t find it at any of my local office supply stores, craft stores or WalMart. Therefore I order mine online. The cheapest place I found Water Slide Decals is on eBay. The decal paper averages a little over a buck a sheet.
Applying your Decals
Now let’s get started. Follow these simple steps to make your own perfect masterpiece:
1. Create your design on your computer.
2. Print out the design on your decal paper, by using the best or photo paper mode.
3. Allow your decal paper to dry for at least 30 minutes.
4. Spray carefully with Krylon Crystal Clear spray. Apply several thin layers, allowing each layer time to dry before adding the next one. I apply around 5 to 6 layers of paint to the decal paper.
5. Clean the surface you are applying the decal to.
6. Cut out your decals. Make sure this is done after your decals have been sprayed. The spray seals the backing paper to the decal and doesn’t allow it to slide easily.
7. Put your decal into a bowl of water for 60 seconds. Do this within a few hours of your spray drying; this will help to avoid a cracked look in your ink. After 60 seconds feel to see if your paper backing is ready to slide off.
8. Slide off the decal onto your project. Carefully push the decal into the perfect place and smooth out any bubbles.
9. Set aside to dry.
10. Depending on the location of your decal, you might want to spray a coat or two to secure the decal further into place.
Things to keep in Mind about your Decals:
- The colors your see on your computer screen will end up a lighter shade on the decal.
- Do not put the decal in the dish washer. The heat will melt th decal. Wash by hand.