Homemade Snowman Ideas
This homemade project makes a great addition to a Christmas village or a fun decoration for your home. Here are some simple instructions on creating snowmen out of flower pots.
1. First collect everything that you will need:
- Terra cotta (flower) pots – the sizes will depend on the sizes of snowmen
- Mini pots – if you want any hats
- Paint (puff paint works great)
- Wood balls for snowmen heads
- Hot glue gun
- Any other additions you would like to add
2. Sand any rough spots or edges on your flower pots.
3. Next clean your pots if necessary. It is important to have a clean surface when you start, so your paint will last longer. You can clean your terra cotta pots by putting them in the dish washer, scrubbing them with bleach water (1 part bleach, 9 parts water), or soapy water. After your pots are clean, let them sit out over night to make sure they are fully dry before you start painting. Terra cotta pots are porous, and if you have moisture in your pots your paint will bubble up with time.
4. Seal your terra cotta pots. This will help protect them from any moisture. There is a sealer that is made especially for terra cotta pots that you should be able to find at most craft stores. You can also use most water based polyurethanes or sealers. Read their labels to make sure they are okay to use with paint, some sealers will smudge your paint job.
5. Paint your snowmen.
6. Hot glue everything together, except for the wire arms and fabric.
7. Seal your snowmen.
8. Add any fabric and arms.