Terra Cotta Candy House for a Christmas Village
This Terra Cotta house makes a great addition to a Christmas village.
1. First gather your materials:
- Mini pot
- Terra Cotta pot (the size will depend on how big you want your house to be)
- Two or three saucers for the top of the house
- Wood sign
- Wood circles for the candy
- Hot glue gun
2. Sand any rough spots or edges on your Terra Cotta pot and saucers.
3. Clean your Terra Cotta pot and saucers if necessary. If your Terra Cotta pots were just purchased from the store and seem to be clean, you can skip this step. It is important to have a clean surface when you start, so the paint will adhere better. You can wash your Terra Cotta pots with bleach water (1 part bleach, 9 parts water), soapy water or you can stick them in the dish washer. After your Terra Cotta pot and saucers are well rinsed, let them sit out over night to make sure they are fully dry. Terra Cotta pots are porous, therefore it is important to make sure that there is no moisture in them. If there is moisture in your Terra Cotta pots the paint will come off with time.
4. Seal your Terra Cotta pots inside and out. This will help protect any moisture from getting in and it will also help your pot not need as much as paint. There is a sealer that is made especially for Terra Cotta pots that you should be able to find at most craft stores with there Terra Cotta pots. You can also use most water based polyurethanes or sealers, just read their label to make sure they are okay to use with paint. Some sealers will smudge your paint job.
5. Paint your Terra Cotta house.
6. Hot glue everything together.
7. Seal your candy Terra Cotta house
There are many different crafts that can be done with Terra Cotta pots, search through all our Terra Cotta articles.