Ideas: Painting Flower Pots
This project makes a great addition to a Christmas village or makes a unique gift for a teacher. You can leave the top unattached so you could store things inside.
1. First gather your materials, you will need:
· Terra cotta pot (the size will depend on how big you want it to be)
· Two saucers for the top of the house (the first just a little bigger than your pot and than another one just a tad smaller)
· Wood spools and pole to hold your bell
· Hot glue gun
2. Sand any rough spots on your pots.
3. Clean your pot and saucers if necessary. It is important to have a clean surface when you start so the paint will adhere better. You can wash your terra cotta pots with bleach water (10 % bleach), soapy water or you can stick them in the dish washer. After your pots are well rinsed, let them sit out over night to make sure they are fully dry. Terra cotta pots are porous and it is important to make sure that there is no moisture in your pots. If there is moisture in your pots the paint will chip up with time.
4. Seal your terra cotta pots inside and out. This will help protect any moisture from getting in and it will also help your pot not need as much as paint. There is a sealer that is made especially for terra cotta pots that you should be able to find at most larger craft stores with there terra cotta pots. You can also use most water based polyurethanes or sealers, just read their label to make sure they are okay to use with paint. Some sealers will smudge your paint job. Oil based polyurethanes are avoided because they will leave a yellow tint to your project.
5. Paint your school house.
6. Hot glue everything together, except for the bell.
7. Seal your school.
8. Add your bell.
There are many different projects you can make out of terra cotta pots, if you are looking for more projects search through all our crafts using terra cotta pots.